b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] adonai "my Lord" or "the Lord"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'Pere Porta'" <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] adonai "my Lord" or "the Lord"
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:45:06 -0500

[Steve Miller] Pere,
>From what you had explained previously, I understood that the Masoretes
voweled adoni to refer to a human or angel lord and adonai to refer to God.
So I would expect practically all uses of adoni to refer persons whom the
Masoretes understood were angels or men.
I can see why. In the synagogue the people davening would be reading the
Bible in Hebrew as fast as they could, and they would bow their heads every
time they read the name of God. They wouldn't want to mistakenly bow their
head to a man or an angel. Elohim can refer to angels or a human judge also,
but the usage is rare.

If Gen 1:26 was a "royal we", then I would expect to find this "royal we"
somewhere else in the Bible referring to royalty. If no such "royal we"
exists in the Bible, then I consider this proof that the "royal we"
interpretation of Gen 1:26 is wrong. I would not try to use traditions of
modern gentile kings and popes to explain the Bible, but use the Bible
itself. It may be that the Victorian kings and popes got their tradition
from Gen 1:26.

Sincerely,
-Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceInWilderness.info
They shall come, and they shall declare
to a people to be born,
reveal His righteousness.
This deed which the Lord has done
they'll retell to everyone
that He may all peoples bless. (Psalm 22:31)