b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] adonai "my Lord" or "the Lord"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'Danny'" <therealsmint AT gmail.com>, <steve AT voiceinwilderness.info>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] adonai "my Lord" or "the Lord"
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 21:01:52 -0500

[Steve Miller] Yes, the word adonai vowelled plural with a pronoun suffix
other than 1st person is used sometimes for a singular human lord. I don't
know why, but it is. I think that is a good argument that "adonai" is not
much evidence for the plurality of God's nature.

But Gen 1:26 is not that. You have God speaking of Himself with a plural
verb and plural pronouns. This is what Pere asserted was a royal we (by a
fancier name), but the Bible does not speak this way about any royalty.

Sincerely,
-Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceInWilderness.info
They shall come, and they shall declare
to a people to be born,
reveal His righteousness.
This deed which the Lord has done
they'll retell to everyone
that He may all peoples bless. (Psalm 22:31)