b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] adonai "my Lord" or "the Lord"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Danny <therealsmint AT gmail.com>
  • To: steve AT voiceinwilderness.info
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] adonai "my Lord" or "the Lord"
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 01:20:36 +0000

Steve, perhaps I misunderstand this whole argument about the 'royal we', but
I can think of several instances of the plural being used to show importance
and stress. What do you make of 1 Kings 1:43 and later in 47 'Adoneinu
ha'melekh David himlikh et sholomo' -- Our lord David has made Solomon King
- adoneinu here is plural, surely?

Heb: אֲדֹנֵינוּ הַמֶּלֶךְ־דָּוִד הִמְלִיךְ אֶת־שְׁלֹמֹה

There are a few more instances of this intensive plural (nb the behemoth in
Job 40) but here's a nice clean example of it used to describe a King.

Yours,

Danny Kessler
Balliol College,
Oxford