b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] adonai "my Lord" or "the Lord"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] adonai "my Lord" or "the Lord"
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 14:44:23 +0200

One more thing that should be taken into account here: the Jewish tradition
that during the Second Temple Period, the Name of God was considered to be
too holy to actually ever pronounce. This is why the name YHWH was vocalized
"Adonai" in the first place. According to (later) rabbinic sources, the
Tetragramaton was said aloud by the high priest only once a year, during the
Yom Kippur service. After the destruction of the Temple, the true
pronunciation was lost. (Remember - such vocalizations such as Yahweh,
Jehovah etc. are modern reconstructions, not ancient traditions.) So it
stands to reason that the transcribers of the Septuagint and the
(post-Destruction) authors of the NT, not having a "pronounceable" name,
simply translated the accepted Hebrew vocalization - Adonai.

Yigal Levin