b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] adonai "my Lord" or "the Lord"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] adonai "my Lord" or "the Lord"
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 06:48:32 +0200

James, I think that your answer is unfair. First of all, some "academic"
commentaries do simply transcribe the Name as either YHWH or Yahweh. But
translations aimed at the general church or synagogue-going audience don't
do so because this would alienate their audiences. Most (Engish-speaking)
Christians have been calling God "the Lord" for centuries. This is the title
they are familiar and comfortable with. Jews have traditionally refrained
from vocalizing the Name as well, using "Adonai" in worship and "Hashem" in
regular speech. For many, any attempt to vocalize the Name is sacrilege. So
some Jewish translations have replaced "Lord" (which to many Jews sounds
"Christian") with either "Adonai" or "Hashem". Why should translators force
their audiences to use something with which they are not comfortable?

Yigal Levin

_____