b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 15:26:09 +1000

Hi James,

Yes, I agree. Linguistic typology gets around this to some extent by semantic mapping methodology. I actually presented on this very topic at an academic conference this week!

Regards,
David Kummerow.

Hi David,

I would be very interested in hearing an answer from you to the question posed.

Argument by translation doesn't really seem to make any sense. When we translate we frequently choose the forms that make sense in the target language. e.g. Italian andavo can be translated in English as 'I went', 'I was going' or 'I used to go' depending on the context.

James Christian