b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 15:12:31 +1000

David:

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 4:46 PM, David Kummerow<farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
wrote:

There are major problems I see with David’s criticism. To list a few:

One that I note, namely, that the difference between a dialect and a
cognate language is only one of degree, not of kind.
Karl, please provide linguistic substantiation on this point.

I’ve had to deal with both cognate languages and dialects in three
languages I speak (not counting Biblical Hebrew), hence for you not to
recognize the validity of the above statement shows greater ignorance
of linguistics than I expected. If you want literature to back up my
statement, go back to the Brothers Grimm, who did much of their work
with dialects for that very reason.

If I find your claims untrustworthy in areas where I can check up on
them, why should I trust your claims in areas where I can’t check up
on them?

I see no reason to continue this discussion.

Karl W. Randolph.

Hi Karl,

Seems like your argument carries little weight as you fail to provide the substantiation requested. You know, I can just level the same criticism at you: your claims are untrustworthy and without basis in the areas of language I am familiar with, so why trust you when you simply give a linguistic opinion without proof. There have been substantial improvements to linguistic science since Brothers Grimm -- linguistic typology wasn't even a discipline! Come on, if your linguistics is that out of date there's really no point in continuing this discussion.

Regards,
David Kummerow.