b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 19:36:21 +1000

I will continue with )MR in my next E-mail.

Hi Rolf,

Great -- because although your email is very long, you never got down to dealing with the actual question posed, viz. that the first verb of Gen 12:1 can be construed imperfectively.

> Ignoring the points above, DK takes one root, )MR, and asks for one
> example where we can see that this verb is imperfective and has
> cancellable properties.

Actually, I would prefer to be shown how 'mr in wayyiqtol conjugation is consistently imperfectively throughout the corpus, like what I was asking in the first place. Gen 12:1 simply arose because James wanted me to conduct a test on part of the corpus myself. I though, well why not Gen 12-15? And I floundered on the first verb. Of course, I know that in your opinion there are only a small number of verbs in the corpus which allow for seeing the uncancellable meaning. But like I said in my review, I think this is quite doubtful given the evidence brought forward in the linguistic literature concerning token frequency etc. and the fact that uncancellable meaning as a linguistic principal is entirely questionable. In any case, even in knowing what you wrote, I still fail to see how wayyo'mer of Gen 12:1 can refer to anything other than a past perfective speech act.

Regards,
David Kummerow.