b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 09:22:27 +0200

(By the way, you've wholly misrepresented my again -- I said nothing
about the relationship between event time and the deictic centre
correlating with perfective aspect! Where on earth did that come from?)

Thanks,
David Kummerow.

DK has demonstrated that he still does not understand the basic
parameters used by Reichenbach, Comrie, Broman Olsen and myself. Tense
is the relationship between reference time and the deictic center, not
between event time and the deictic center. This is so because event time
can start before the deictic center and continue after it. But OK, I
agree that the whole event time in Gen 12:1 is prior to the deictic
center. This shows that the reference is past, but not that the
WAYYIQTOL is past tense. And there is no way to look inside the verb and
know whether the whole or a part is made visible.

As seen by my words quoted above, I said that TENSE is not the relationship between event time and the deictic center. I did not speak of aspect.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo