b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 13:09:34 +0100

Hi,

at this point I am a little confused. Everybody has the right to use their own definition of terms for the purposes of their work. From your email I see that you see semantics and pragmatics as different entities but don't see any clear boundaries that separate the two.

James Christian

Quoting David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>:

Hi James,

Of course they are semantically different. They represent completely
different kinds of motion. But the question is whether they have any
semantic elements which are uncancellable.

Sorry, but it was you that said their was little difference. I was just
responding to what you said.

i.e.

1) Can an object only fall downwards?
2) Can an object only sink downwards?
3) Can a flying object only land on a solid object?

Another example we could throw out for discussion:

4) He was crawling on his feet but not on his hands. This he learned, of
course, after toddling on hands and knees.

James Christian

James, I'm not sure what you're attempting to do with these examples. If
you're trying to prove that the semantics of some lexemes or
constructions involve semantics which are consistent across used, you
have no disagreement with me. I already accept this. What I dispute is
that this is principal inherent to semantic meaning, that semantics is
to be understood as meaning which is uncancellable and any meaning which
is cancellable (or not consistent across uses) is pragmatic. Rolf has
not proven his point because he has not treated all the linguistic
evidence which goes against his position.

Regards,
David Kummerow.