b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 09:46:02 +1000

There are major problems I see with David’s criticism. To list a few:

One that I note, namely, that the difference between a dialect and a
cognate language is only one of degree, not of kind.

Karl, please provide linguistic substantiation on this point. That is a big claim you are making and one which I don't think is supported in the linguistic literature.

So when he uses a
dialect as an argument to try to prove his point, it is the same kind
of argument as if he had used a cognate language, differing only in
degree.

No, Karl, that is not what I have done. I have not used dialect itself as an argument, but the system of language use within a dialect. It's analysed synchronically, so it's treated in and of itself. There's no problem then with using these examples.

Further, I presented actual language examplles from other languages, not dialects. But you simply went silent on them -- why?

That he absolutely refuses to acknowledge that fact (his
example of “plod”) undermines his argument. That’s why I stopped
responding to him.

No, it doesn't undermine the argument for reasons stated above and elsewhere in response to you. Your claim is unsubstantiated. (And I note that you failed to address Martin Shield's criticism with your position.)

Regards,
David Kummerow.