b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 10:12:58 +0200

Dear Karl,

My definition of the perfective and imperfective aspects are based on the relationship I found between reference time and event time in BH, as outlined in my post to JR.

The general definition is: "The imperfective aspect is a close-up view of a small section of the event where the progressive action is made visible. The perfective aspect is a view, as if from some distance of a great part of, or of the whole of the event, where the progressive action is not made visible." However, this definition does not reveal the details of the three planes I mentioned in my post to JR.

In contrast, the English imperfective aspect is defined as "uncompleted," and the perfective aspect as "completed".

In chapter 8 I list the following list of differences and and similarities between the aspects:

1. Both aspects make a part of the situation visible.

2. The imperfective aspect make details visible, but not so the perfective
one.

3. The imperfective aspect makes a small part visible, but not so the perfective one.

4. The imperfective aspect can include either beginning or end; the perfective aspect can include both beginning and end.

5. Both aspects can be bounded and unbounded.

6. The imperfective aspect can make visible a part before the beginning (conative situations) and a part of a resultatnt state (resulatative situations), but not so the perfective aspect.

There are many additional details that can be grasped by looking at different examples.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

I don't know what Rolf means by "perfective" and "imperfective" if he
is using different meanings than what is found in the grammar of such
as Russian, but that verse is neither perfective nor imperfective as
the terms are used in Indo-European languages. If you insist on the
Indo-European definitions, then you have set up a false dilemma
logical fallacy.

Back up your so far unsupported statements.