b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 09:53:24 -0700

David:

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 4:46 PM, David Kummerow<farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
wrote:

>> There are major problems I see with David’s criticism. To list a few:
>>
>> One that I note, namely, that the difference between a dialect and a
>> cognate language is only one of degree, not of kind.
>
> Karl, please provide linguistic substantiation on this point.

I’ve had to deal with both cognate languages and dialects in three
languages I speak (not counting Biblical Hebrew), hence for you not to
recognize the validity of the above statement shows greater ignorance
of linguistics than I expected. If you want literature to back up my
statement, go back to the Brothers Grimm, who did much of their work
with dialects for that very reason.

If I find your claims untrustworthy in areas where I can check up on
them, why should I trust your claims in areas where I can’t check up
on them?

I see no reason to continue this discussion.