b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:18:57 -0500

1. In 1Ch 22:10 the B of L-BEN comes after a schwa, and is not dagush.
2. The B of LA-BEN comes after a PATAX, and is dagush.
3. The B of LABAN in Gn 30:35 is after a QAMAC, and is not dagush.
4. LEBEN, 'yogurt', is the Arabic LABANEH.
5. The B of LIB-AM, LIB-AN 'their heart' comes after a XIRIQ, and is dagush.
For some reason this dagesh is absent in quadrilitterals, say, GIB (OL, 'stem'.
Also, XUMCAH, 'acid', is sans dagesh, possibly to avoid confusion with the verbal form.
Notice that KI$OR, written in full, is sans dagesh, but KINOR written XASER is with a dagesh.
In colloquial Hebrew HIT-XABAR-TI, 'I became friendly' is with a soft B, but HIT-XABAR-TI, 'I joined', is with a hard B.

Isaac Fried, Boston University