b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 00:03:12 +0000

Dear John,

All I wanted to say is that your flat out statement that I am wrong
assumes your particular definition of the word "vowel." Note: I did
not say you were wrong (and if you think I did, you did not read what
I wrote carefully enough). The word is at best ambiguous. A better
term to differentiate the graphic representation from its
pronunciation unambiguously may be "vowel sign," "vowel mark,"
"vocalization sign," etc. Using "vowel" is not wrong. It can just be
a cause for misunderstanding.

I really did not ask you those questions for validation of your
position. I asked them in order to be able to answer you better. Any
question is valid, but if the question is misunderstood, it will
remain alone without an answer. In any case, if you think it's a
waste of time to answer my questions, I guess in that case it would be
a waste of time for me to answer yours :)

Yitzhak Sapir