b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:07:35 +0000

On 2/22/09, Brak wrote:

> I'm not
> concerned that the adding of the dagesh is causing the vowel change - the
> fact is that there is a vowel change. So when you say the only difference is
> the dagesh you are wrong - as you have different vowels.

A vowel is an element of pronunciation. That is the primary meaning of the
English word "vowel." The two signs mark the same vowels. You may say
that there are two different vowel signs, but these are still the same vowel.
If you don't want to deal with pronunciation, don't use terms that deal with
pronunciation. Since you didn't answer any of my questions, which
were intended to help me answer your questions, I have no reason to
answer yours.

Yitzhak Sapir