b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "the Silver Scrolls"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "the Silver Scrolls"
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 21:38:37 -0800

Yigal:

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il> wrote:

> [...]

I learned two definitions for "religion", one the declarative definition
("it is a religion only if I say it is") and the other the duck test ("if it
flies like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, etc. then it is a
duck", likewise "if it functions like a religion, answers the basic
religio-philosophic questions, gives rules for life, etc then it is a
religion"). The first is a formal definition which can often be capricious
and arbitrary, the latter a functional definition able to test all beliefs.

Which camp do you fit into? Form or function?

My understanding, which I share with others on this list, is functional.