b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Documentary Hypothesis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Documentary Hypothesis
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 18:46:01 +1100

Bryant Williams wrote:

Furthermore, since all we have is the text itself showing no signs whatsoever
of a JEDP make-up, then it requires more evidence to prove that the text was
edited/redacted beyond what was already given by the text itself.

---------------

Bryant, I think that is overstating things. The text arguably does show signs
of JEDP make-up. These signs formed the basis of the Documentary Hypothesis.
Surely you would agree at the least that there is a book of Deuteronomy! You
have a D source right there!

I'm quite skeptical of the Documentary Hypothesis, but I can see what fuels
the theory. Whether the theory is right or not is another issue, but it was
certainly not proposed without any basis at all.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au