b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "the Silver Scrolls"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "the Silver Scrolls"
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:20:49 +0200

Dear Bryant,

You're right, the basic assumption underlying my statement is a
source-critical methodology, which is universally accepted in modern
biblical studies. Your statement is basically a declaration of faith: since
the Bible says that God is the "author" of the "Priestly Benediction", than
He is". That's fine in the context of a faith-based discussion, which is NOT
what this list is about. My post was a reaction to a previous statement,
that the "silver scrolls" somehow disproved "minimalism". One cannot
"prove", "disprove" or even discuss anything, unless we first have a common
ground for discussion. The common ground here is that the methodologies that
are used in the scholarly world are valid, and that simple statements of
faith are not.

There is a very big difference between "maximalism" and "fundamentalism"
(which I do not mean in a negative way and appologize if anyone here is
offended by the term). "Maximalism" is a scholarly methodology, by which one
can accept anything that is not made very unlikely by known archaeological
or other empirical evidence. In other words, EVEN a "maximalist" would not
take the statement in Josh. 10:13 about the sun and the moon standing still
literally, since this contradicts so much of what we know about the physical
universe. Instead, he would try to find a "rational" explanation. A "fundamentalist" would say "God can do whatever he likes, so if the Bible says it happened, it did". Both approaches are legitimate within their own contexts, but you can't carry arguments from one to the other. In other words, if you want to have a dialogue with "minimalists", you have to accept the basic methodology, of which minimalism is one possible conclusion. If you don't you're not holding a dialogue, you're preaching.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>