b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ecc 12:6: BWR

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ecc 12:6: BWR
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 05:56:23 +0100

Yes, Karl, BWR is "pit" rather than "well".
Now, RCC means "to crush", not "to broke". But "WNRC", the word before HGLGL, has often be
translated as "break" and not as "crush".
And so, KJ writes:

Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.

So, be so kind to excuse the mistake I made at writing about broken pieces of the wheel (which pieces would fall into the pit). If I understand you well, it is the whole wheel which is crushed and falls down into the pit.

Pere Porta

First of all, GLGL refers to an object that can be rolled. While the most
common usage is to refer to a wheel, it is also used to refer to a tumble
weed Isaiah 17:13 Psalm 83:13 and in this case I think it refers to a body,
wrapped up being taken to a grave. The word that specifically means "wheel"
is )WPN.

BWR refers to an excavation, dug out pit. Sometimes that dug out pit was
also used as a well, other times dry. In Genesis 40 it was the prison that
Joseph worked in, sounds like a quarry. It can also be a grave.

The word that specifically refers to a well is B)R.

So the final section refers to the rollable object is moved quickly unto the
dug out pit. The reason for )L instead of the prefix B- is because we are
looking at movement towards the dug out pit.

Where do you get the idea of breakage and pieces?

Karl W. Randolph.