b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] translation of Los Lunas ten commandments?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] translation of Los Lunas ten commandments?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 07:01:34 +0000

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:11 AM, Ted Walther wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 07:26:11PM -0700, dwashbur AT nyx.net wrote:
> >I found this line curious:
> >
> >"...is convinced that the inscription is ancient and thus authentic."
> >
> >What precisely does "authentic" mean in such a context?
>
> Alas, the author of those words died in 2002. I guess he meant
> "authentic" as in, the words were inscribed by a real Hebrew, not by a
> prankster along the lines of Joseph Smith and his golden tablets.

The author of those words was not a Semitist or Hebrew Paleographer,
and he is accused of having fabricated some of the data for research
in other instances:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Lunas_Decalogue_Stone

It is unlikely to be authentic, even apparently vocalization marks with
"Paleo-Hebrew" script.

Yitzhak Sapir