b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mowledeth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <JimStinehart AT aol.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mowledeth
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 15:59:40 -0800

Dear Jim,

[Jim]
If we
understand how the Patriarchal narratives use the word MWLDT, we will see
that
the Patriarchal narratives do not portray the Hebrews or the pre-Hebrews as
being indigenous to Mesopotamia. On the contrary, in accord with the most
recent "discoveries" of modern historians, the Patriarchal narratives view
the
Hebrews and the pre-Hebrews as being indigenous to Canaan or greater Canaan,
not to Mesopotamia. As we keep on seeing in these posts on the 9 occurrences
of
the word MWLDT in the Patriarchal narratives, the word MWLDT in the
Patriarchal
narratives refers to "father's descendants", not to "the geographical locale
of
one's birth". Once we understand how the author of the Patriarchal
narratives
uses the word MWLDT, we will see that Abraham's brother Haran is not
portrayed
as being born in Ur, and Abraham is not portrayed as being born in Harran.
Rather, the Patriarchal narratives view all of those people as having been
born
in Canaan or greater Canaan, not in Mesopotamia.

[Bryant]
Look at Genesis 11:27-32 in which it unambiguously states that Terah lived in
Ur
of the Chaldees. In fact, it states that Haran, Abram's brother died in Ur of
the Chaldees (11:28). Furthermore, the Abrahamic Covenant statement in 12:1,
"The LORD had said to Abram, 'Leave your country, your people and your
father's
household and go to the land I will show you' " would not make any sense at
all,
IF, and I say again, IF, the land that Abram is currently in at the time of
the
announcement of the covenant is in Canaan NOT Ur of the Chaldees. Not only
that,
but 12:4 clearly indicates that Abram left Ur for Haran with Lot at 75 years
of
age. Then 12:5 says that Abram, with Sarai and Lot, and all their possessions
from Haran for Canaan. Also 11:27 uses TWLDT not MWLDT. I do not think that
MWLDT is the issue here, because it is obvious that it means "kindred;
father's
descendants, etc."

Finally, the narratives of Isaac show that his wife (cousin), Rebekkah, family
(from Betheul Abram's brother) was from Aram Naharaim and Nahor near Haran.
Not
only that, but Rebekkak had Jacob obtain a wife from relatives from Paddan
Aram
near Haran not from Canaan as Esau had (in this case, nieces Leah and Rachel).
See Genesis 24:10; 28:5-7. Aram Naharaim, Nahor, Haran and Paddan Aram are in
Northwest Mesopotamia (ancient and modern day Syria).

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III