b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] chalal-perforate/pierce?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] chalal-perforate/pierce?
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 22:26:31 -0400

All of the translations I have say "pained"

Anyway, it couldn't mean "pierced", because the subject is the people of Israel, how could you pierce a collection of people?

Shoshanna

Shoshanna,
You said, "Chalal means (empty) space."
While that is one definition of the word I found in my Hebrew dictionaries/lexicons, they also include the definition pierce, to bore through. I can understand how the basic meaning pierce can also carry the idea of wounding as most versions of Isaiah 53:5 translate this or how this could also come to mean an empty space. How would you translate Isaiah 53:5 assuming the meaning of Chalal in this instance is "empty space"?
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy