b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] resource material was chalal-perforate/pierce?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] resource material was chalal-perforate/pierce?
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 17:11:55 -0400

Bryant,

It is not clear to me why we should use all these dictionaries, where we can use better, and to our greater advantage, our own brain.
I looked up TWOT and saw that he suggests that XALAH [of the famous rhyme: I baked a little xalah, I baked it by myself, I put it in the oven, I put it on the shelf,...] is some kind of bagel or pretzel since its name implies that it is 'pierced'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University