b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] resource material was chalal-perforate/pierce?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] resource material was chalal-perforate/pierce?
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 20:31:00 -0400

Yigal,
Here is my list again, now properly with K = kaf and Q = qof
Possibly the Arabic 'sweet' is rather XALBA, descended from XALAB,
'milk', which is indeed sweet-tasting by virtue of the good amount of
lactose it contains.
Since you mention it, 'braided' is QALU(A, from the root QL(, yet
another member of the GL, HL, XL, KL, QL root family. It is possible
that the MI-QL(AT of 1 Kings 6:32 is a bas-relief, and then QL( is in
there in the sense of GL(, SL(, CL(, ML).
Nowadays we are accustomed to use QL( in the sense of braiding long
hair into CAMOT, or flowers into a wreath [ZER]. As such it has the
sense of KL), or KLL, as by this maneuver the braided strands are
intertwined [KLL] and tightly interlocked [KL)] together.
QL( in the sense of QALA( LA-MATARAH, 'hit the target', also shares
the sense of KL) and KLL, as the projectile is then successfully
placed and embedded in the target. In 1 Samuel 25:29 reference is to
the inclusion of a projectile in the the receptacle of a sling.
It seems to me that the biblical XALAH is a full bodied, round [XUL]
and arching [QAL] baked good, ending to be in the form of a GAL XOL,
'a mound of sand', possibly of a hard outer crust enclosing [KLL] a
softer inner core.
I am not sure about the ancient Hebrews offering to their God bagels
and pretzels.

Isaac Fried, Boston University