b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] resource material was chalal-perforate/pierce?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] resource material was chalal-perforate/pierce?
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 20:47:19 -0400

Karl,

Is XLH 'soft'? Where did you get this? Please explain. I am really, really interested in seeing a justification for this understanding.
Your speculation that the ancient Hebrews manufactured flutes by boring long shafts in solid cylinders needs substantiating.
XLL is 'include'. A XALIL, 'flute', is a XALUL---an outer skin or envelope in which a column of air is included---KALUL. To me XLL is, beyond a shadow of doubt, not 'pierce' or 'bore'.
Your acknowledgment that QD$, 'holy, sacred', is a metaphor for something concrete is right. Yet I fail to see where you got for it the meaning of 'set apart'. Please explain.
XLL may mean 'diluted, not pure, including inferior elements', and if so, I would agree to MXOLAL of Isaiah 53:5 as meaning 'sullied, devalued'.
Finally, I understand that what you are saying in your opening statement is that you are using all these dictionaries because you speculate that the speculations of their authors have somehow a higher speculative merit than our own notoriously lame speculations.

Isaac Fried, Boston University