b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] resource material was chalal-perforate/pierce?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <michaelabernat9001 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] resource material was chalal-perforate/pierce?
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 12:04:28 -0500

I am somewhat confused by the discussion of chalal. It appears that some argue there are two roots with similar but not identical spelling. One meaning to profane and the other having a meaning which includes wound, pain, pierce, etc. My resources are limited so I looked this up in a couple of modern Hebrew/English dictionaries and some of the more classical lexicons.

The modern dictionaries treated this word as one entry, presumably they only saw one root which included both the ideas of profane and wounding or killing.

The classical lexicons also treat the word as being one root with diverse meanings including: pierce through, wound, to break, and to lay open or give access to. One lexicon goes on to explain that this is one reason the word came to mean profane because some things which were holy were not open to public access.

I sometimes get the impression from this group that some members assume a theological bias on the part of scholars invalidates their work. (Some of these are also so outdated I hate to use them but at least I can afford them.) I can understand the sentiment but that does make it difficult to maintain communication on theologically charged passages. So, here is my question. Which lexicons and other resources are mutually acceptable to both our Jewish and Christian scholars who participate on this forum? While I'm asking, remember my resources are limited. I don't exactly live in the middle of nowhere. Nowhere is about fifteen miles down the road. I would appreciate it if our Jewish friends could identify any online resources they find acceptable.

Sincerely,

Michael Abernathy