b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] chalal - perforate/pierce?/KRH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Robert Newman <rob AT designceramics.co.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] chalal - perforate/pierce?/KRH
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 21:49:09 -0400

Robert,

We need to absolutely distinguish between the operation and the product. XALON, 'window' is a cavity, or an inclusion in the wall, irrespective of the way it was created. It is a common mistake in Hebrew etymology to confuse the two.
I see in Isaiah 53 reference to illness and suffering but not to any use of sharp instruments or tearing the flesh.
In Isaiah 51:9
הַמַּחְצֶבֶת רַהַב מְחוֹלֶלֶת תַּנִּין
HA-MAXCEBET is 'shape' and HA-MXOLELET is 'form'. In my humble opinion the translation "Was it not you who crushed Rahab, you who pierced the dragon?" is unacceptable, and is due again to confusing the operation with the product. What is this act of bravura on God's part, that should impress us so much? To kill his own sea creatures? Is God in a prowess contest with Canaanite fishermen killing dolphins and porpoises? Reference is here to the creation of these sea monsters not to their destruction.
The two roots XCB and XLL, or just XL, appear earlier in verses 1-2
הַבִּיטוּ אֶל-צוּר חֻצַּבְתֶּם וְאֶל-מַקֶּבֶת בּוֹר נֻקַּרְתֶּם. הַבִּיטוּ אֶל-אַבְרָהָם אֲבִיכֶם וְאֶל-שָׂרָה תְּחוֹלֶלְכֶם
clearly in the sense of 'shape' and 'form'.
The root XCB is a variant of XTB. In Psalms 144:12
בְּנוֹתֵינוּ כְזָוִיֹּת מְחֻטָּבוֹת תַּבְנִית הֵיכָל
MXUTABOT is 'shaped, formed' not 'curved'.
Sorry, but I can not, even remotely, accept MXOLAL of Isaiah 53:5 as 'pierced'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University