b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] resource material was chalal-perforate/pierce?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, "b-hebrew Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] resource material was chalal-perforate/pierce?
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 22:09:20 -0700

Dear Isaac,

I find that with the used of each of these lexicons/dictionaries cover most of
the same ground and yet also have their own uniqueness in there glosses. These
are not the only ones that I use (including grammars. I also used the
following
lexicons:

1) Terry A. Armstrong, Douglas I. Busby and Cyril F. Carr, *A Reader's
Hebrew-English Lexicon of the Old Testament,* 3 Volumes, Grand Rapids:
Zondervan
Corporation. Vol. I, 1980; Vol. II, 1982; Vol. III, 1986.

2) Neal D. Williams, *A Lexicon for the Poetical Books,* Irving, TX: Williams
&
Watrous Publishing Company, 1977.

Both of the above use BDB, Gerhard Lisowsky's *Konkordanz zum Hebraischen
Alten
Testament,* and Soloman Mandelkern's *Veteris Testamenti Concordantiae
Hebraicae
Atque Chakdaicae.* Williams also used Koehler and Baumgartner's *Lexicon
Veteris
Testamenti Libros.*

Again, all of these will say the same thing in most cases, but sometimes they
will differ. I will always weigh the evidence provided by all of them and then
make a decision. Adding information obtained from periodicals, when available,
is also very helpful.

The use of TWOT is well worth the cost. Furthermore, two of the contributers,
Drs. Herman Austel and Richard D. Patterson (both Ph.D.'s, Semitics, UCLA)
were
translators of the NASB, co-authors for I & II Kings (Dr. Patterson on Joel)
in
The Expositors Bible Commentary series and were my professors of Hebrew and
Old
Testament at Northwest Baptist Seminary in Tacoma, WA. at the same time that
Martin A. Abegg and I both attended.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III