b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yonah Mishael" <yonahmishael AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 22:11:02 -0500

Peter,

I fail to see how the terminations -/é/ or -/í/ of the preterite and
-/o/ of the present tense in Spanish can both refer to the same
first-person /yo/. I don't see how the -/aste/ or -/iste/ termination
of the second-person preteriste can be traced to the pronounce -/tú/.
Does one have to go into the proto-languages to view this stage in
development? If so, then it is still mostly conjectural, since there
is no example of any Proto-Indo-European language at play anywhere in
real world. It is a reconstruction (as even you state) rather than a
practical demonstration.

I agree that terminations are connected to pronouns, of course. But, I
just have a hard time seeing as direct a connection as Isaac is
suggesting, to the point that the actual pronoun was originally fused
to the final part of the word in some form. Perhaps with more
investigation and openmindedness I will come to agree with Isaac, but
where I am right now, I just cannot imagine it being so simply at the
base.

Yours,
Yonah Mishael
Joplin, MO