b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 11:02:57 +0100

On 12/04/2007 01:16, Lisbeth S. Fried wrote:
Oh, I don't insist on anything but that verbs in Yiqtal be translated by the
English future (and verbs in Qatal by English past tense), that's all I
insist on. ...

Yes, but my main point is that this is not necessarily appropriate. Rather often in biblical Hebrew YIQTOL does not have a future meaning, but a past or present continuous one. Or at least that is my understanding of the Hebrew verb system, although of course it is controversial. The problem comes when YIQTOL in biblical Hebrew is read as if it were the future tense in modern Hebrew.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org