b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:23:34 +0100

On 11/04/2007 19:31, Lisbeth S. Fried wrote:
On 4/11/07, Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net> wrote:
Peter Kirk wrote:
Is. 56:6-7 And foreigners who bind themselves to YHWH to serve
him, to love YHWH's name, and to be his servants, all who keep
the Sabbath without desecrating it and who hold themselves fast in my
covenant —
these I will bring to my holy mountain and cause them to rejoice in
the house
of my prayer. Their burnt offerings and sacrifices [will be] an
acceptable offering on
my altar; for my house will be called a house of prayer for all
nations."

Is there something I'm missing here? what's the problem with the verbs?

Liz Fried

Liz, the problem is that both Harold and Shoshanna are, in different ways, taking "my house will be called a house of prayer for all nations" to be applicable only in the eschatological future (from Isaiah's perspective), whereas I am suggesting that this is a timeless truth, that the temple was always supposed to be open to everyone's offerings. It certainly seems unsafe to read this as necessarily referring only to the future.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org