b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:16:13 -0400

Oh, I don't insist on anything but that verbs in Yiqtal be translated by the
English future (and verbs in Qatal by English past tense), that's all I
insist on. You are probably right in fact, the author was indeed campaigning
for the acceptance of eunuchs and foreigners into the temple community. This
doesn't mean that the present tense should be used to translate the verb,
the future can begin anytime from the moment the poet lifts his pen from the
paper.
Liz Fried