b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 11:01:24 -0400

Dear Harold and Peter,
Yes, you are correct of course. BH has really only two tenses imperfective
and perfective,
plus the participle. The imperfective is for verbs where we would use a
modal, as well as uncompleted actions that began in the past and continue
into the future.
The problems come not in narrative, where it is clear that we are dealing
with a narrative tense (which in English are the past tenses), but in the
prophetic texts.
I should have said that the Qatal is always past, not that the Yiqtol is
always future.
Perhaps you'll prove me wrong here too.
Best,
Liz Fried