b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 06:05:06 +0200

Shoshanna,

While you are correct that "xamud" is an adjective, derived from the verb "XMD" (like in the last commandment of the Decalogue), "xemdah" is a noun, and means "desire" or "love". Look at 2 Chr. 21:20.

The fact that the midrash, followed by Rashi, interprets the "woman" of Dan. 11 as being the Israel that God loves is not surprising, since it does the same thoughout the Song of Songs. However, midrash is not the literal meaning of the verse - that's peshat.

Yigal Levin
----- Original Message ----- From: "Shoshanna Walker" <rosewalk AT concentric.net>