b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 00:27:46 -0400

Maybe. But that would be an assumption, not the working definition.

Just as today, it is an "assumption" - but we know very well that it is not always the case - that an unmarried woman is a virgin.

And it is only the distinction between a woman who was previously married, whether she was widowed or divorced, and a woman who was never married, which makes a big difference in the conditions in the Ketuba (ie the money she is entitled to, from the groom and/or his family, if he divorces her). No one really probes into her private life, to determine if she is a virgin or not, in order to designate the conditions in the Ketuba.

Also, whether or not she is a convert to Judaism - but that is a different matter.

But - if she had a child, and was never married - then they use the word "It'ta" - which simply means "woman" - since they cannot pretend that she is a betulta - which "assumes", as you say, that she is a virgin. I don't remember off hand, in this case, whether the money she is entitled to, is the same as if she had never been married, or the same as if she had been widowed or divorced or converted - I can look it up, not now - it's after midnight.

Shoshanna

In Isaiah's culture, wouldn't such a woman have been assumed to be a virgin?