b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yonah Mishael" <yonahmishael AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity
  • Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 22:31:46 -0500

You assume, I guess - though you didn't spell it out, that the Greek
παρθένος PARQENOS means "virgin." In classical Greek, the word does
*not* mean "virgin." It is a common word for "girl," nearly synonymous
with the κόρη KORH. According to the classical definition, the Greek
PARQENOS and the Hebrew עלמה (LMH have nearly the same semantic range.

The question is what the LXX translator intended. Did he intend the
reader to take PARQENOS as "maiden" or "girl" per the older meaning,
or did he intend the meaning "virgin" -- which was taken from a more
religious sphere, as it refered to the Vestal Virgins (who were really
no virgins at all).

My own supposition is that the translator of the LXX did *not* intend
PARQENOS to be understood as "virgin." And the fact that they used
that term does not indicate their belief or disbelief in any "virgin
birth." The term is far more flexible that this.

Shalom,
Yonah