b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, Josephus and Philo

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, Josephus and Philo
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:23:10 -0500

Peter Kirk wrote:
On 16/10/2006 23:58, Harold Holmyard wrote:

HH: All sorts of things happened to ancient texts. However, it is perfectly obvious to me that the NT borrows from the Greek OT. It is perfectly obvious that the Greek OT preceded the birth of Christ. It is perfectly obvious that the early church used the Greek OT.

You mean, you presuppose that this is true because you have heard it said, and you are not prepared to examine evidence which may suggest something different, whereas you accept without critical examination the libels of those who seem to support your own presuppositions. Is that a wise scholarly approach to such issues? I can understand some caution, but that does not justify bad-mouthing those who are trying to examine the evidence more carefully.

HH: I write to edify those who read and trust that I did so on this subject.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard