b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:43:52 -0500

Schmuel wrote:

An easier general explanation for the verses in question -
The Greek OT was 'smoothed' by low-quality scribes between 100 AD to 500 AD
to be closer to the NT - by scribes who simply could not leave midrash alone
:-)

HH: You don't include other sources of LXX quotations such as Philo and
Josephus.

Do Philo or Josephus give any support for those actual verses ?
I have never seen even one.

Schmuel
You did not answer this question in regard to the NT prophecy verses,
the issue at hand.

Harold, do you even understand what we are discussing ?

HH: No, I did not understand your question. You want Philo or Josephus quotes of the Septuagint that match the 100 or so places quotations in the NT that match the Septuagint. No, I have not done that detailed research.

HH: One of the issues raised in this discussion was whether the LXX pre-existed the NT. That was what I was addressing in my point about Philo and Josephus.

Oh, I see you agree that we have no extant Latin OT manuscripts at all, and
little
early Greek OT, just smidgens of attempted reconstructions from this and that.

HH: Neither of these statements seem to be true. We do have Old Latin manuscripts, though they are fragmentary. Perhaps that is what you mean. And of course there are early Greek OT manuscripts. We also have much Old Latin materials in patristic quotations.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard