b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Kamatz katan; Ashkenazi pronunciation; was: Translating

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Kamatz katan; Ashkenazi pronunciation; was: Translating
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 12:03:19 +0500

On 07/10/2006 10:44, Rolf Furuli wrote:
Dear Peter,

Time and again it has been demonstrated that we live in two different
linguistic worlds. So I see no purpose in a discussion between us. However,
you challenge my statement that it is a fact that WAYYIQTOLs did not exist
before the Masoretes. I will comment on that.

A WAYYIQTOL is by definition a prefix form with patah and gemination (or
vowel lenthening i 1. p. s). It is *a fact* that such forms are not found
before the Masoretes. ...

Well, obviously, because no patahs or gemination are FOUND before the Masoretes, because we have no earlier vowel points. That doesn't imply that earlier Hebrew was spoken without vowels! There were vowels, but there is no surviving evidence for them. (I leave aside for now the slight and confusing evidence from transliterations.) Again, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. (If you don't accept this principle, your theory about the original New Testament manuscripts having YHWH rather than KURIOS goes out of the window as well. You can't have things both ways.)

... So, it is *a fact* that there are no proofs that
WAYYIQTOLs existed before the Masoretes. ...

I accept your restatement of your position including "there are no proofs", which I take as a retraction of "it is a fact that WAYYIQTOLs did not exist before the Masoretes".

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org