b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Kamatz katan; Ashkenazi pronunciation; was: Translating

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Kamatz katan; Ashkenazi pronunciation; was: Translating
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 23:35:10 +0500

On 07/10/2006 23:10, Vadim Cherny wrote:
So, it is *a fact* that there are no proofs that
WAYYIQTOLs existed before the Masoretes. I did not discuss speculation and
beliefs; I discussed morphological evidence.
Rolf Furuli

It is very much possible that the Masoretes invented wayyiqtol. They had a
good reason to do that.
As I see it, tense forms developed as follows:
- qatal for the past tense, weqatal for the future
- new FT form yiqtol

Indeed? When exactly do you think that YIQTOL was "new"? At any time relevant to biblical Hebrew?

at that point, there were two forms of the future tense, and one form for
much more common past tense. Someone should have got a bright idea of
developing a form for the past tense symmetrical to weqatal. Thus, wayiqtol
is likely an artifical form.

Could the MT wayiqtols been originally weyiqtols. Very much! ...

I accept "Could". I do not accept "*a fact*". Speculate as much as you like, but speculation does not imply fact.

A note to Peter: logically, Rolf correctly equates absence of positive
evidence with negative evidence. That is the way of proof in all sciences
but mathematics. Perhaps some future experiments would invalidate the speed
of light limit, but before that, we take that limit for proven. Science
develops through refutations, not positive proofs.

Vadim, your idea of science is very limited. This is not how science works. The "speed of light" limit is not an experimental one but a theoretical one.

Rolf, do you want supporters like this?

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org