b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Kamatz katan; Ashkenazi pronunciation; was: Translating

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Peter Kirk" <peter AT qaya.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Kamatz katan; Ashkenazi pronunciation; was: Translating
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 21:01:46 +0300

There is no doubt that the Masoretes pronounced kamatz and kamatz katan
similarly. They invented plenty of marks and vowels, and wouldn't mark two
different vowels similarly.
Again no doubt, they pronounced kamatz as [a]. It become [o] with the
Germanic initial stress shift. I detailed the process at the end of this
message: davAr - dAvar - dA:var - dOv'r dOivor (first kamatz - long o,
second kamatz - short o).

Vadim Cherny

I think that the real question about the Kamatz katan is not when its
pronounced - the rules are pretty clear, though there are different
customs. The real question is, why the mesoretes used the same symbol for
two different (albeit related) vowels: the long a and the short o. Could it
be that THEY pronounced them both the same? If so, how, as a long a or as a
short o?

Yigal Levin