b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Kamatz katan

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "YODAN" <yodanco AT yodanco.com>
  • To: "'Rolf Furuli'" <furuli AT online.no>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Kamatz katan
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 13:52:00 -0700

Shalom Rolf,

I looked at the section you mentioned and saw a few WEYIQTOLs but didn't
find a WAYYIQTOL; I must have missed it. Can you give a chapter/verse
please?

In any event, are you saying that a word like vaYAkom (with kamatz katan as
the last vowel) is a form of yaKOM (with holam as the last syllable) or
yaKUM (with kubutz or shuruk as the last syllable) to which VAV was added?
If so, I agree and I believe this is the accepted explanation of these
forms. This is also an example of a HOLAM turning into Kamatz Katan or,
better yet, an earlier SHURUK or KUBUTZ that later (sometimes) into Holam
(in imperfect verbs) or into kamatz katan (when the VAV was added and the
accentuation changed). Do you agree with this?

I'm interested in the point about 2 and 4 conjunctions. Can you please
elaborate on this?

Thanks and best.

Rivka

The Ohs and Ahs of Torah Reading