b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Num 11: 5 khaw-tseer'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Num 11: 5 khaw-tseer'
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 15:53:20 -0500

JP vd Giessen (FOL) wrote:

I have a problem with translating Numbers 11: 5: khaw-tseer' is translated as
"leek" (Allium porrum) in many translations, but in all other occurrencies it
is translated as "grass".
Is there any specific botanical background why this is "leek"? Could it be an
Egyptian loanword?

HH: The word is known to have that meaning from post-biblical Hebrew (MHb. = Middle Hebrew) and the Samaritan Pentateuch. HAL lists it separately from the word meaning grass, with this data:

MHb., > Sam.: leek Allium Porrum (Löw 2:131ff) Nu 11:5.

Allium Porrum is the technical name for the leek plant. The Dictionary of Classical Hebrew wonders whether there are actually three homonyms, one for grass, one for reeds, and one for leeks. But DCH often multiplies roots unnecessarily, in my view.

HH: If you go to the following website, there is a photograph of the leek, and you can see that it is a very grasslike plant. So perhaps "leek" is a more specialized meaning of the common word:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leek_(vegetable)

Yours,
Harold Holmyard