b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Translating - some elementary questions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Translating - some elementary questions
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 07:04:07 -0500

Bob MacDonald wrote:

I am looking at Psalm 145 verse 15;

1. (Ynei-KoL seems to have a first person singular suffix - my eye; perhaps
it is an idiomatic plural? I notice that Gen 44:21 has the same word
translated eyes, but the singular would give an equal sense.

HH: Bob, if you think this ways, you need to study basic Hebrew more. The word "eye" is in the plural and is a construct form. There is no pronominal suffix on it.

2. the suffix ka seems to mean 'your' - does 'eLeYkA then mean literally
your God?

HH: You clearly do not know enough Hebrew to deal competently with the words. This is not the word "God" but a preposition.

3. What is the grammatical role of LAHem in the sentence?

HH: Indirect object.

4. 'eth-'AkLAm - is this an object marker followed by an irregular plural?

HH: It is an object marker, but not a plural. It is a singular with a third plural suffix.

Is there an online resource for these questions? I have been using Blue
Letter Bible and some sites that seem to derive from the same basic
resources. I find they do not deal with all the words in the Hebrew text.

HH: You need to take a course in Hebrew, it seems to me.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard