b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Translating - some elementary questions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Translating - some elementary questions
  • Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 19:14:25 +0100

On 03/10/2006 18:55, Vadim Cherny wrote:
Are you sure? I was under impression that transliterations have -ac/-ec 2ms
suffix, quite with a vowel.
The difference with the MT could be explained: we just read the MT
incorrectly. Vocalization in suffixes is trailing (like under het), not
lagging. The Masoretes meant to read dvarac, we just erroneously read
dvarcha. That explains absence of dagesh kal in the suffix consonant in MT:
dvarcha rather than the expected dvar.ca with interconsonantal stop, dagesh
kal.

Are you suggesting that the word final qamets under kaf and he (but not other letters, I think, and only found in certain personal suffixes) should be read before the final letter in the same way as furtive patah? An interesting idea, but surely in falls down in that the sheva in dvarkha/dvarakh would then be redundant.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org