b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Translating - some elementary questions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Edward Andrews" <edandrews AT adelphia.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Translating - some elementary questions
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 09:45:12 -0400

Bob MacDonald:

First, I am no Biblical Hebrew scholar by any means, nor do I post to this site often (mostly read), but I thought I would toss in a helpful tip on one of Harold's points. The three numbers in Hebrew are singular, plural, and dual. The dual (identified by the suffix a yim) is customarily used for objects that appear as pairs, such as hands (ya·dha´yim) and ears ('oz·na´yim).

Dual nouns ending in (a yim) form their construct state as Harold pointed out by changing (a yim) into (e eh). That is what you are seeing take place in Psalm 145:15.

BM: Is there an online resource for these questions? I have been using Blue

Letter Bible and some sites that seem to derive from the same basic

resources. I find they do not deal with all the words in the Hebrew text.

Yes, Bob, Welch University offers basics, intermediate and advanced Biblical Hebrew courses.

http://www.robertwelchuniversity.org/content.php?con=31

Edward Andrews

----- Original Message ----- From: "Harold Holmyard" <hholmyard AT ont.com>