b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] actual Hebrew question about Daniel 9:25

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] actual Hebrew question about Daniel 9:25
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:30:09 +0100

On 14/09/2006 00:21, K Randolph wrote:
Dear Rev. Bryant J. Williams III:

First of all, which king Artaxerxes was the king who sent Ezra to
Jerusalem? In doing a googlewhack and reading several articles, I came
up with two possibilities, one which would have brought Ezra to
Jerusalem at 457 BC, the other at 395 BC.

Of the two, the earlier one is used most of the time on online
articles, and that is entirely because of a reading of 69 sevens of
years to Jesus' death and resurrection. ...

Not entirely so. If Ezra arrived in Jerusalem in 395 BCE, what is he doing there in Nehemiah 8:1, which appears from its context in that book to be in the same year, probably 445 BCE, as Nehemiah's building of the wall. (I don't in fact know why no one seems to suggest that Nehemiah's Artaxerxes was also Artaxerxes II.) Thus a plain reading of the book of Nehemiah requires the c.457 BCE date. Maybe the plain reading is not the whole story, but this is certainly evidence favouring the earlier date quite independent of any interpretation of the 69 sevens.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org