b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] actual Hebrew question about Daniel 9:25

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] actual Hebrew question about Daniel 9:25
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 00:12:55 -0400

Dear Kenneth,
If the numbers were originally written as numbers, rather than as words, it
would be written as in a tally, or accounting sheet. You see this in Ezra
1:9ff.
gold things 30
silver things 1000.
When the text came to be transcribed as words, the order was maintained.
This may be the case in Daniel too.
Liz Fried.