b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] actual Hebrew question about Daniel 9:25

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'Seth Knorr'" <ftbaccounts AT yahoo.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] actual Hebrew question about Daniel 9:25
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 22:05:10 -0400

> From: Seth Knorr Thursday, September 14, 2006 5:02 PM
>
> One common problem with figuring out Daniel 9:24-27 is that of chronology.
> The main problem is that modern chronology has been influenced greatly by
> the LXX, which changed the ages of different persons that where crucial
> for determining a valid chronology. A good book written on this topic is
> Martin Anstey's "Romance of Bible Chronology." Unfortunately this book was
> written around the 1920's and therefore is out of print.

[Steve Miller] You can download Anstey's chronology tables from
http://www.amen.org.uk/eh/biblical/anstey/
I have compared Anstey's chronology to Darby's (which is what Scofield
used), and I agree with you and Anstey, that Daniel's 70 weeks start with
Cyrus' decree.
However, in other places where apparent Biblical contradictions are
resolved, I think Anstey did not have good judgment. For example, Anstey
takes all the years in Judges as sequential with no overlap. That
contradicts 1 Kings 6:1 which specifies 480 years from the Exodus to
Solomon's 4th year. Anstey explains this by saying that the 480 years only
count those years in which Israel was under the ruling of God. I would never
agree to that interpretation.